Comments on: Postmortem: Jimmy’s Lost His Marbles Experimental Games Wed, 06 Dec 2017 14:55:08 +0000 hourly 1 By: arcadegamer Tue, 16 Jun 2009 21:45:16 +0000 great site you have here -up- i will visit again when i have free time. hehe. thankz

By: petri.purho Thu, 30 Nov 2006 21:36:17 +0000 Thanks alot.

I used to have the same problem. I startted many many game projects and never finished any one of them. And I still do that, but now a days I have to finish the game by end of the month 🙂 I hope you give rapid game prototyping a shot and finish the game even if it turns out to be a crappy one. And let me know how it turned out (send me an email with download link).

The song that inspired Jimmy’s Lost His Marbles was PeeWee Herman Theme by Mr. Bungles. It’s a cover of the film’s main theme.

By: Graham Thu, 30 Nov 2006 13:45:13 +0000 Hi

Love the blog, and am really impressed with what your doing.
As someone whose started about 7 games over the last year or two and
finished none of them, your a bit of an inpiration.
Just out of interest, what was the song that inspired the game?
Was it happy coloured marbles by ween???
If so you’re doubly cool!!

By: petri.purho Thu, 14 Sep 2006 14:05:39 +0000 Thanks.

For Marbles I actually used a home made 2D game engine. I don’t think it saved much time, because during the development of Marbles I ended up fixing some bugs in engine. I probably could have coded marbles in two days, if I wouldn’t have used my own game engine :).

Torque Game Builder would be a excelent platform to do experimental games. I know there are some that are done with Macromedia Flash, Game Maker and atleast one done with plain HTML. I think its important to select a development platform for your game that you feel confident working with. And most importantly select a platform that can be used to do the game. I don’t think Troy would have been all that cool game if it was coded in C++.

By: Rohit Thu, 14 Sep 2006 04:00:28 +0000 Very cool 🙂 Thanks for sharing.

I also find it very impressive that you could build so fast using just the SDL libraries. Had you used a scriptable engine like the Torque Game Builder, you would have achieved even more in 3 days.